Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Can Do This

So last night I took my first two shots. 20 units of the HCG and 225 of the Gonal-F. We had gone to a class yesterday morning where they did and overview of the IVF cycle. What to expect, what not to expect, side effects. We saw pictures of different embryos such as what they look like when they're good quality and when they're poor quality. Things like that. Then we practiced doing injections. They give you this little round disc that has a foamy middle that feels kind of like skin. We learned how to draw the medicine from the vial and inject it. Pinch, inject, pull out. Super simple. The nurse told us that in the first class she ever did, she let the women practice on their husband's. I don't think I would have minded doing that. Then we signed all of our consent forms. We are pretty much in this from here on out.

The medication has to be taken between 7 and 10 at nigth. So, last night, around 7:30, we put the medicine together. Some came already premixed and some we have to mix ourselves. I got a piece of ice to numb the spot on my belly and then Jon and I just started laughing. I mean, we were laughing so hard we were shaking. To me, it was just weird having my big, football player, of a husband give me a shot with this tiny needle. And I think Jon was just as equally nervous. Then all of sudden, I started crying because I psyched myself out. When I started crying, Jon laughed even harder. I kept telling him not to hurt me. We finally both calmed down, I closed my eye's, and Jon started laughing again. He finally calmed down again, I closed my eye's again, and before I knew it, he was done. I was like, "That's it?" and he said, "Yeah." O.kay.....I didn't even FEEL anything. So I started laughing again and I felt pretty silly. So the second shot was no big deal.

I can TOTALLY do this!!

2 comments:

Nadia said...

You can totally do this, Sally! I'm so excited for you and Jon and wish you nothing but positive pregnancy vibes during this whole adventure with IVF. You are in my prayers, chica!! And thanks for sharing about your experience:)

Ashley said...

You CAN totally do this!