Friday, July 9, 2010

Good to Go

Today I had my first suppression ultrasound and blood draw to start off the IVF cycle. First of all, the blood draw really hurt. I have started getting use to it and it's getting easier, but I swear the lab tech was a freaking sadist. She jabbed the needle in and then when she was done, she put the medical tape on so tight to hold the cotton ball in place it just hurt. My elbow all the way down to my hand hurt. I kept it on through the rest of the appointment, but as soon I got outside I was ready to take the damn thing off. So I took off the medical tape and took some skin with it too. I have this nasty, red bruise where the tape was and a bruise from the needle. My arm is still hurting after 4 hours. And I get to have this done again at least 4 more times. However, the goods new from the blood work was that my Estrogen levels were less than 25% which wsa what they were looking for. They actually want something less than 75%. So when the nurse called she sounded really optimistic.

The ultrasound wasn't as bad as the first one and it was really quick. He counted 18 eggs which he said was good. And he also checked the lining of my uterus. I had told him that after the progesterone pills and the birth control pills I still hadn't started my period and I ws concerned. He said if my lining was thick, then we would have to wait for my period to start. However, he said if the lining was thin, then there wasnm't anything to shed and we would be good to go. Luckily the lining was thin so we can proceed as normal. i had asked the nurse about women not starting their periods before the IVF cycle and she said it was completely normal. with all the hormone meds, the lining of the uterus just thins out and there's nothing to shed.

The nurse then did a quick overview of the meds. How to draw the medicine from the vial, how to inject the medicine, etc, etc. She also went over my levels from the Clomid test and she said that everything was exactly where they wanted it to be. I love my doctor's nurse. She will take the time to answer any question I ask her. It's such a good feeling. I scheduled my next blood draw for next Tuesday and things are just taking off. Tomorrow is our class for the medications and we'll sign the all the consent forms.

In some ways, this feels so unreal. I feel like I'm having a really nice dream and I'm waiting to wake up. However, I know that this is really happening and our lives will most likely change for the better. I know that everything has fallen into place for us and we have had so many prayers answered. I truly know that Heavenly Father has his hand in this and he is blessing our lives. This has already been and I'm sure will continue to be an amazing experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its not a dream its amazing reality:) i love when reality is as good as a dream.