Thursday, July 22, 2010

Egg Hunt

Today was egg retrieval. Last night, we had a friend come over to give me a blessing to calm my nerves and I am most grateful for that extra support. This morning, we woke up about six and started getting ready. We left the house about ten to eight because we were concerned about traffic. We got to the clinic at 8:00AM and because we were early, we decided to drive to a park and say a quick prayer.

We arrive at the clinic and sat out in the waiting room for about 15 minutes and then the nurse took us back. She went over some instructions for after retrieval, things that were normal, and things that aren't normal. She also went over the progesterone inserts that I will be starting tomorrow. Dr. Heiner came in and talked to us a little bit about the procedure and that he was expecting to get about 12 to 15 eggs. We also discussed a possible embryo transfer for Sunday, depending on how the embryos were doing outside of the womb. If not Sunday, then the transfer will be on Tuesday.

Afterwards, a nurse took me back to a dressing room to change and the andryologist took Jon back to do his thing. They started my IV and took me into the OR. I am proud to say I didn't freak out when I got my IV. I was more anxious to sleep. I asked how long the procedure would take and was told about 5 to 10 minutes. So they prepped me around 8:45 or so, knocked me out, and I came out of the anesthesia about 9:30. Jon was there when I woke up which I was so grateful for. As I was coming out, I vaguely remember asking Jon the same things over and over. Some people can be pretty interesting when they are waking up.

After I got dressed, we went out to the nurses station where I was told I did great and gave me the total of eggs found. 23 EGGS!!!! They were pretty surprised and excited about this as was Jon and I. However, because more than 20 were retrieved, they gave me some medication to take to prevent ovarian hyperstimulation. They honestly did not expect to find that many. So tomorrow, we will receive a phone call to from the doctor and they will tell us how many fertilized. We, of course, are hoping that a majority of them fertilize and that we will have some leftover to freeze.

I am still sore and tired, but Tylenol and heat seems to help with the cramping. I've slept almost all day and have watched alot of tv. After we left the clinic, we went to In-n-Out and got hamburgers and shakes. And then tonight, we received Cafe Rio for dinner. We have some great friends.

We are still shocked by how many eggs were retrieved and keep asking each if what we heard was real. We are optimistic that there will be plenty of eggs to use. So, it's been a pretty good day. Now we wait.

No comments: