Friday, April 16, 2010

Testing: Day 1

We are starting the preliminary test's for invitro. Today is day one for me. Jon just needs to make an appointment for his. I won't go into any more detail about his.

For me, the tesintg requires a clomid challenge. I have done clomid before and have to say, I didn't really enjoy being on it. Hotflashes, moodswings, achy, etc, etc. However, I am willing to do what I need to do to become a mom.

The clomid challenge test consists of several things. First of all, I do not have regular cycle's so I have to take a hormone pill, called progesterone, to induce my period. Once my period starts, I go in on day 2, 3, or 4 of my cycle for a blood draw. On day 5 of my cycle, I start Clomid and I will be on that for 5 days, taking 2 pills a day. On day 10, I will go in for another blood draw, and this one has to be done in the morning. I am praying that my employer will work with me on this. The same day, I will also have done a 3D Saline Sonogram where the doctor will look at my eggs and follicles and see how many eggs I can produce. He will also check for cyst's and any abnormalities.

We are praying that these test will come back normal to prevent us from doing further tests. However, we are willing to except any challenges that come our way during this process. The fortunate thing in all this, is that our insurance will cover 90% of most of the test's. This is quite a blessing. However, they will not cover IVF.

This does not necessarily mean we will start IVF right away. Since it is so expensive, we have to work some type of way to pay for it. We are praying earnestly that a way will be provided. But we have decided to do the testing now to see what we are up against and then decide from there what IVF route to take. As I said in an earlier post, there are different options of IVF, and I don't fully understand them otherwise I would go into further detail. Our brains are still a little overloaded and we're still allowing the idea to sink in.

We thought that if we did the testing but didn't start IVF right away, then there was something wrong with us. However, after speaking to other couples, we found that this was pretty normal. Some have saved for a year and a half while some have taken time to work out the financing for this procedure. It's incredibly unfair that some insurance's won't cover it, but it is what is and because this is so important to us, we are willing to find away.

Thank-you again for all of your prayers and positive thoughts. We ar so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family.

P.S. If this was a little more clinical then you would have cared to read, I'm sorry. But after going through so many tests, I'm not shy to share.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea it was so intense! I really pray that the tests come out good and that you dont have to take anymore drastic measures. And im sorry about having to take the shots. If you are ever having a moodswing, call me:) I am a very good listener and you can vent your moods to me:) as for the hot flashes and aches...i cold bring you cold packs and iceehot:)

Claudine said...

Wow Sally, you are such a good woman to go through all this! Best of luck to you! I don't know if we ever talked about it, but do you have PCOS? Have they mentioned anything about Metformin to use with the Clomid? Metformin is my wonder drug and the only way that I've been able to conceive and not miscarry.

Good luck through this crazy journey, and let's hope it results in one seriously adorable little baby! :)