Friday, September 17, 2010

Support Group

O.kay.....here's the deal. I used to think that support groups were hoakey and dumb. I thought they were only for people who were alcoholics or drug addicts. The last thing I wanted to do was sit in a circle with a bunch of people I don't know and talk about my 'feelings'. I had made up my mind that I would never join a support group because I already had all the support I needed, ie. friends, family, etc.

A friend of mine was telling me about this online support group for infertility. She told me that there were all these women who posted online about what they were experiencing with their infertility and that every situation was different. I would say, "Oh. That's nice. But I don't think that's for me." She said it had really helped her to get through the bad times because all of these women understood what she was going through. And I would think that I really didn't need anything like that at all. I was not going to give up my pride.

The last few weeks I have really been struggling with my emotions about the IVF not working. I was just stuck in this rut that I couldn't get out of. So what did I do???? I emailed this friend for the web link of this group, I decided to give it a few days and if I really hated it I could just quit. Isn't that what our parents used to say when they encouraged us to do something that we thought we would really hate?? They would say we could always quit and it would be o.kay, right?? Our parents were pretty sneaky and sly because they knew we would love it. That's what happened to me. I signed up for this group and I LOVE IT!!!!

It is so freeing and therapeutic. I can read about different experiences and post my own experiences. I can vent all I want and these women get it and completely understand. They comment with advice and support and just positive thoughts. And I think I like it better than face to face. I never thought I would.

Now....this doesn't replace my friends, family, the Gospel, or Heavenly Father. But it definitely helps. It makes me feel like what I am feeling and going through is normal. I feel normal!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds amazing! and very helpfull. I think being able to "vent" and not have to look someone in the eye while doing it is sooo much better. Good for you for taking the risk:) I have often wanted to start a blog no one knows about so i can say whatever i want and just let it all out without worrying about negative comments and people thinking i'm crazy. but i really think you are great and i'm sooo glad you found the support. Sometimes its easier to talk to people you dont know but know what you are going through:) love you!

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M said...

I have a few of those groups myself so I completely understand. (((HUGS)))