Sunday, September 26, 2010

Judge Not

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Theresa

Last night was the General Relief Society Broadcast and President Monson gave a wonderful talk on Charity. What I really love about his talk were he thoughts on being judgemental.

One of the stories he shared was of a woman who complained to her husband every time their neighbot put her clothes out to dry. She would complain that this woman did not know how to clean her laundry well enough. One day, as she looked out the window to watch her neighbor put her clothes out, she exclaimed how clean they were and that her neighbor finally learned how to do her laundry. Her husband responded that he had awoke early that morning and cleaned their windows.

So President Monson posed that question as to how clean are our windows??

I liked this because it really made me think about the times I have judged other's too harshly. Did I give them the chance to explain their actions? Did I try to see in some people what others saw in them?

I discussed this with Jon and he kind of turned it around on me. I can be pretty self conscious and not the most out going person. When I have a hard time getting to know someone, I tend to put myself down with the idea that they wouldn't want to be friends with someone like me. Jon had explained that not only was I judging the other party, I was judging myself. I have never looked at it that way. I also realized that not only was I not giving the other person a chance, I wasn't giving myself a chance.

I have also learned from President Monson's words was that we should be tolerant and lenient of others. I find this very important because we never know what someone else might be dealing with at some point in their lives. People will always make mistakes and at one point or another, will do something that will upset us. However, it is our responsibility to be forgiving. We should also try to look for the good in others no matter their outside appearance. Someone may be crippled, diseased, deformed, etc. on the outside, but that doesn't mean that their heart is.

I am so glad that I went to this meeting. It gave me the spiritual boost that I needed and I feel very rejuvenated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i loved it! such a good talk. my fav for sure!