Saturday, June 28, 2014

Miami Mormon Reunion

Today, Jon and I had the opportunity to attend a Miami Mormon Reunion. I didn't get to see as many people as I thought, but happy and grateful for the ones that I did get to see.

Some people may not know, but I was born in Utah, we moved to New Jersey when I was about 5, and then to Homestead, Florida when I was about 13. 4 months before Hurricane Andrew. 

Anyway, we made some wonderful friends in both places. My mom has always said that the best place she found to raise her children were in Florida. And she was right. Living so far away from family, our ward and stake became our family.

A very dear family from our old stake in Miami, Michael Fierro, put together this little reunion and invited anyone who could come. I guess they had been doing this for the last few years. But I am so glad I was able to go this year. I was able to introduce Jon to my former Stake President, Michael Madsen, from my adolescent years who was by far the best Stake President I have ever had. One of my former camp and Young Women leaders, Annette Fierro, who I absolutely adored. And a few friends, Angie Madsen, Dale Robbins, and Alysha Fierro, that I hung out with from the stake.

Mind you, none of us were in the same ward, but we were still family. We played games and ate food and just had fun. We talked about Young Women's camp and how Michael F and my Dad were the Priesthood leaders over camp. We talked about how they liked to torment us but always in good fun. We talked about different people in the wards and Stake and what they were doing and how their lives had changed. We laughed together and cried together. It was probably one of the best days I have had in a long time.

Another fun part was reconnecting with a family that we knew in New Jersey who moved to Florida about a year after I was married and happened to move into the same Stake as well.

Nancy and Frank Chavez

They were newly married when we found out we were moving to Florida. While my parents were in Florida looking for a house, this wonderful couple stayed with my siblings and I for about a week. They will forever be known as my New Jersey parents. It was so wonderful to have a chance to catch up with them. I just remember them being one of the neatest couples that we were able to get to know.

I am so grateful that I was able to spend time with all of these wonderful people today. Like I said, these people were a part of our family. We took care of each other and loved each other. What a wonderful day!!

Miami Mormon Reunion

No comments: