Monday, June 30, 2014

Heaven is Everywhere

Sorry....it's a little blurry :-)

I had the opportunity to listen to Stephanie Nielson at BYU Women's Conference this past May. I knew bits and pieces of her story but not the full story. However, what I had heard, did inspire me and how she used her faith to inspire and motivate her healing process. She actually spoke on social media at this conference and not about her crash. I was intrigued, grabbed her book, and waited in line to have her sign it. I actually really enjoyed meeting her and her husband and started following her on Instagram as well as her blog.

When I started reading Heaven is Here, I made the same mistake I most of the time make with a new book: reading the reviews on Goodreads. I scrolled through a couple of pages of reviews and most of them were very negative. And I think it ended up tainting the first part of the book for me. But I wanted to finish it because I wanted to know how she overcame this trial and where she drew her strength from. I read it mostly to gain strength for myself to help me through my personal trials.

So I decided to finish it. And I am really glad that I did. I found her story to be beautiful. I cried through probably the whole thing. I can not even begin to imagine the pain and struggle she underwent those first few months in the burn unit and then when she went home. I could not stop crying when I read about her children visiting her, when she first saw what she looked like, and so many other things that she had to endure. 

What an amazing lady!!! I loved how she drew from her faith, the Primary songs, and prayers to help her through her ordeal. I feel truly inspired and hope that I can do the same to overcome my personal trials and suffering. I know there is no way I could ever compare my trials to hers. However, I feel very inspired by her. By someone who thought her life was over and than found the motivation she needed to start her new life with her family. I am grateful that she had the courage to share her story with the rest of us.

P.S. I think my very favorite part is when she described Heaven as being with the ones that you love.

1 comment:

liz ostvig tippetts said...

I'm so glad you ended up liking the book!